Cloth Insulated-Wiring Replacement

About Cloth Insulated – Wiring Replacement

Until 1950, many home electrical systems used cloth insulation. This wiring resembles modern systems, but cloth insulation can lead to shock or even fire.

Ungrounded Cloth-Insulated Systems

These old wiring systems were not always grounded. Electrical systems are grounded so that electricity has a safe path to leave in the event of malfunction. Grounding prevents shock, but it also protects electronics against low-level power surges and electrical buildup. This can keep your electronics in good working order for years to come. The single most important factor in grounding your electrical system is the safety of your family, friends, and pets. The risk of electrical shock and fire is too great to ignore.

Safety Upgrades

We recommend that all cloth-insulated wiring systems be upgraded. Making this investment soon greatly reduces your home’s chances of fire or dangerous electrical shock. If you have questions about the wiring in your home, please call your Bay Area electrician, Rortech Electric. You can have a consultation by phone or schedule a free home safely inspection.

Cloth Insulated – Wiring Replacement FAQs

Do I have cloth wiring?
Why is cloth wiring so dangerous?

Do I have cloth wiring?

If your house was built before 1950 and the wiring resembles these images, then your house likely has cloth insulated wiring.

Why is cloth wiring so dangerous?

Part of the danger of cloth insulation is that it deteriorates and becomes brittle. Insulation like this can fall off in chunks, exposing bare wiring. Bare wires can shock anyone who comes in contact with them. They can also cause fires if two bare wires touch.

Call Now
(415) 499-7704

Rortech Electric

Your San Francisco Bay Area Electrician Since 1980

Fully Bonded and Insured
Licensed Electrical Contractor, License: 500138

Tel: (415) 499-7704

8 am to 5 pm